|Location||West Beleriand, south-west of Hithlum|
|Founded||After Y.T. 1497|
The land of Nevrast lay on the coast of the Great Sea in Middle-earth. The name meant Hither Shore in Sindarin, as opposed to the Distant Shore of Aman and was originally applied to all the shores of Beleriand (although Nevrast was usually not included in West Beleriand).
However, Nevrast was sheltered by mountains that separated it from Hithlum, so its weather was more like Beleriand that the lands to the northeast. It received ample rains from the sea which drained into the great mere of Linaewen in the midst of the land, for Nevrast was enclosed by mountains with no outward flowing rivers.
Nevrast was the centre of an Elven kingdom of Turgon for about a century until ca. F.A. 116, when the people began their trek to Gondolin. Turgon's capital (and it seems the only city of Nevrast) was Vinyamar. The land was not permanently inhabited after that, and indeed was utterly abandoned until Tuor came there, guided by Ulmo.
 Other versions of the legendarium
 See also
- Haerast, the Far Shore
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Beleriand and its Realms"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Noldor in Beleriand"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Lost Road and Other Writings, "Part Two: Valinor and Middle-earth before The Lord of the Rings, VI. VI. Quenta Silmarillion", p. 256
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Index"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 29