|Location||Bag End, Hobbiton|
|Birth||S.R. 1429 |
|Parentage||Samwise Gamgee and Rose Cotton|
|Siblings||Elanor, Frodo, Rose, Merry, Goldilocks, Hamfast, Daisy, Primrose, Bilbo, Ruby, Robin and Tolman|
Pippin Gardner was a Hobbit of the Shire.
Pippin was the third son and fifth child of Samwise Gamgee and Rose Cotton, born in S.R. 1429. He was named after Pippin Took at the suggestion of Frodo Baggins.
Pippin is a translation of Razan, a Westron word for a small type of apple. In Sindarin, the name Pippin is Cordof.[note 1]
- ↑ It is not clear whether Pippin's name was a short of Peregrin as was the case of his namesake.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix C, "The Longfather-tree of Master Samwise"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Grey Havens"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Appendix on Languages"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Sauron Defeated, "Part One: The End of the Third Age: XI. The Epilogue: The second version"