|Other names||Old Toby|
|Position||Cultivator of pipe-weed|
|Birth||Third Age |
|Death||Third Age |
Tobold "Old Toby" Hornblower was a famous Hobbit.
Toby came from Longbottom in the Southfarthing of the Shire. He was the first to cultivate pipe-weed in the Shire (S.R. 1070), and was quite famous for it. How he came by the weed is unknown, for to his dying day he would not tell, though Merry Brandybuck speculated that he had traveled to Bree in his youth and came into contact with the herbs there.
His name, "Old Toby", was given to his variety of weed.
 Other versions of the legendarium
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Concerning Pipe-weed"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The Road to Isengard"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 31
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Ring, "Part One: The Fall of Saruman", "The Road to Isengard", p. 36
- ↑ Noted by User:Morgan (26 December 2010)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Appendix on Languages"