|Other names||Old Toby|
|Position||Cultivator of pipe-weed|
|Birth||Third Age |
|Death||Third Age |
Tobold Hornblower came from Longbottom in the Southfarthing of the Shire. He was the first to grow true pipe-weed in his gardens around S.R. 1070 (T.A. 2670). Tobold knew much about herbs. He was not a traveller, but in his youth he travelled often to Bree. Merry Brandybuck speculated that it was in one of such travels when he first learned of the pipe-weed and of smoking (the Bree-hobbits claim to be the first smokers of that herb, which Merry accepts as true). Toby however never revealed how he came by the weed. His name, "Old Toby", was given to a variety of weed.
 Other versions of the legendarium
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, "Prologue", "Concerning Pipe-weed"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, "The Road to Isengard", towards the end of the chapter in the conversation between Merry and Théoden
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age", year c. 2670
- ↑ Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull (eds), The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion, p. 31
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Ring, "Part One: The Fall of Saruman", "III. The Road to Isengard", p. 36
- ↑ Noted by User:Morgan (26 December 2010)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "II. The Appendix on Languages", Personal names, §50
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "II. The Appendix on Languages", On Translation, §42