The Variags were a little-known people who dwelt in the land of Khand.
Variag is a Slavic word derived from Norse Varingar "mercenary people" (vár "contract"). The Norse root indicates that perhaps Tolkien intended Variag to be a "translated" Northern Mannish word.[source?]
 Portrayal in adaptations
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- Variags of Khand is a Man Faction.
 See also
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The West of Middle-earth at the End of the Third Age" [map]
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, The Appendix on Languages
- ↑ S. Coleman Charlton (1993), Middle-earth Role Playing (2nd edition, hardcover) (#2000)
- ↑ Peter C. Fenlon, Jr. et al. (1987), Lords of Middle-earth Vol II: The Mannish Races (#8003)