- "So we always do, we look towards Númenor that was, and beyond to Elvenhome that is, and to that which is beyond Elvenhome and will ever be."
- ― Faramir, The Window on the West
In an abstract sense, "the West" was honored as the home of the Valar and the Eldar, and the legacy of Númenor. Politically, it encompassed the realms and peoples of the Westlands who belonged to the cultural sphere of the Elves and the Dúnedain, and were allied to them against Sauron.
West may refer to:
- The Uttermost West or Far West, Aman. There, the Valar dwell, and the Elves go when they "sail West".
- Beleriand, the most western land east of Belegaer. Elves who dwelt here were occasionally known as Dúnedhil, West-elves, to distinguish them from the Avari.
- The West, or Westernesse, lies in Belegaer, to the West of Middle-earth. The Dúnedain, or Men of the West, take their name after this sense.
- After the drowning of both Beleriand and Númenor, "the West" generally referred to the north-western portions of Middle-earth, or Westlands, specifically Eriador; or at least those who opposed Sauron.
- West Beleriand, lands to the west of the Sirion.
- The Westfarthing, the western quarter of The Shire which included Hobbiton, Michel Delving and Tuckborough.
- The West-gate of Bree, one of the entrances to Bree-land.
- The Westmarch, an area added to the Shire in S.R. 1452.
- The West-mark, the western half of Rohan.
- Captains of the West, the main command in the War of the Ring.
- Flame of the West, the translation of Andúril.
- King of the West, Elessar
- Lords of the West, the Valar.
- Mighty of the West, Tuor.
 Real World
- Into the West, an Oscar winning song by Annie Lennox.
- Lockwood West, actor.
- Richard C. West, author and scholar.
- John Westbrook, actor.
- ↑ Cf. J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "Of Dwarves and Men", "The Atani and their Languages": "friendliness towards the West (to Elves and to Númenoreans)"
|This disambiguation page is a list of articles associated with the same title. This is in accordance with Tolkien Gateway's Naming policy.|
If an internal link referred you to this page, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.