This article describes a concept which is mentioned in J.R.R. Tolkien's works, but was never given a definite name.
|Location||Highest hill of the headland above the Haven of Umbar|
|Realms||Early Gondor, Umbar|
|Description||Tall white pillar crowned with a globe of crystal|
The White Pillar was a monument erected upon the highest hill of the headland overlooking Umbar. The great pillar was white with a crystal globe set on top. The globe absorbed the rays of the Sun or the Moon and shone like a star that could, in clear weather, be seen far out to sea or even upon the south coasts of Gondor.
In S.A. 3261 the Númenórean King Ar-Pharazôn landed at Umbar and humbled the might of Sauron. Although Ar-Pharazôn's reign represented the darkest times of Númenor, culminating to disaster, Elendil and his exiled followers remembered the landing with pride; they erected the White Pillar in memory of the event, commemorating the power of their race, and the humiliaton of the Dark Lord.
At the end of the Kin-strife between the factions of Eldacar and Castamir, the sons of the usurper sailed with their followers from Pelargir to Umbar in T.A. 1448, removing the city from Gondor's control. After Umbar fell under the domination of Sauron's servants the memorial of his humiliation was destroyed.