- 10 - Scholar Angus McIntosh, pupil and friend of J.R.R. Tolkien, is born.
- 30 - The Chequers Clubbe, founded by J.R.R. Tolkien, is given permission to organize dinners.
- ? - Rules of the Exeter College Essay Club, signed by J.R.R. Tolkien, is printed.
- 1 - George Sayer, friend of J.R.R. Tolkien, is born.
- 18 - The Chequers Clubbe, founded by J.R.R. Tolkien, meet to have dinner.
- 4 - The British Empire declares war on Germany, following tension and conflict on the mainland in July.
- 9 - Artist Tove Jansson is born.
- ? - Hilary Tolkien joins the army as a bugler.
- ? - Geoffrey Bache Smith and Robert Gilson join the army. Christopher Wiseman joins the navy instead.
- ? - Tolkien writes Letter 1.
- Spring - J.R.R. Tolkien is awarded the Skeat Prize for English by the Exeter College. He spends the £5 prize money on buying four books.
- ? - Author and librarian William Ready is born.
- ? - Artist Horus Engels is born.
1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917