Events that occurred on 24 August
 On Earth
- 1951 - Author Orson Scott Card is born.
- 1957 - Actor Stephen Fry is born.
- 1966 - J.R.R. Tolkien lends Rayner Unwin a reading-copy of "The End of Bovadium".
- 1973 - Actress Grey DeLisle is born.
- 1974 - Mythcon 5 at Scripps College in Claremont, California.
- 1992 - Tolkien Centenary Conference, a combination of Oxonmoot and Mythcon.
- 1998 - CarolinaCon Regional MECCG Newsletter issue 2 is published.
- 2006 - The Oxford Tolkien Conference at Exeter College, Oxford.
- 2007 - The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, "The City of Kings" is released in Europe.