This article or section needs more/new/more-detailed sources to conform to a higher standard and to provide proof for claims made.
|"Amroth" by Olga Kukhtenkova|
|Titles||King of Lórien|
|Language||Sindarin and Silvan Elvish|
|Birth||Before F.A. 507 |
|Rule||S.A. 3434 - T.A. 1981 (1988 years)|
|Death||T.A. 1981 (aged 5498+)|
Bay of Belfalas
|Gallery||Images of Amroth|
Amroth was one of the Iathrim who spent his early life in Doriath. Following the destruction of Beleriand and the War of Wrath, most of the Noldorin exiles and remnants of the Sindar retreated to Lindon. The Valar reinvited these Elves to Aman, but Amroth, among many others, was unwilling and remained in Lindon. He, along with his father Amdír, established himself in Lórinand.
He lead a force of Galadhrim to the aid of Elrond during the War of the Elves and Sauron, only to be driven back by the forces of Mordor in S.A. 1697. After his father's death in S.A. 3434 in the Battle of Dagorlad, he became King of Lórien. He lived for a long time in peace in the manner of the Silvan Elves, because of his love for Nimrodel.
Nimrodel however hated the elves who came from the West, Sindar and Noldor, and the wars they brought to Middle-earth. After many debates, Nimrodel said to Amroth that she would marry him if he took her to a land of peace. Such a land no longer existed in Middle-earth, but Amroth spoke about the Havens in the South such as Edhellond, and the way to the Ancient West.
Together, they began a journey to the south. They went to Gondor in the days of Eärnil II, but then they were separated. Amroth went to the Havens alone and there he found a few Elves who wanted to sail to the West. But they wouldn't wait for Nimrodel.
Finally, because of the great love that Amroth bore towards her, they waited, living on their ship till the end of the autumn. One night, they faced a great storm that led their ship to unknown seas. The ship finally found its way to Tol Eressëa and was never to be seen in Middle-earth again. But Amroth, in the dawn, when he realized that the ship was far away, leapt into the sea and fought against the waves, and by the Bay of Belfalas, he drowned.
 Other Versions
In earlier versions of the legendarium, Amroth was briefly Galadriel and Celeborn's son, brother to Celebrían. In this version of the legendarium, he lived in Eregion and fled with Galadriel and Celebrían after the revolt of the Gwaith-i-Mírdain encouraged by Sauron between S.A. 1350 and 1400. He led an attack on Sauron's forces and fought with the host of Dúrin in about S.A. 1697. Later, Galadriel left the Lórinand to Amroth when she went to dwell by the sea.
|Amdírd. S.A. 3434|
|AMROTHd. T.A. 1981||Nimrodel|
fl. T.A. 1981
 See also
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn", "Appendix B: The Sindarin Princes of the Silvan Elves"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn", "Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn", "Amroth and Nimrodel", p. 245
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix F, "The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age"