|Lifetime||22 August 1971|
|The Hobbit (film series)|
- "Richard is one of the most exciting and dynamic actors working on screen today and we know he is going to make an amazing Thorin. We cannot wait to start this adventure with him and feel very lucky that one of the most beloved characters in Middle-earth is in such good hands."
- ― Peter Jackson
Richard was born in 22 August 1971 at Leicester, England. He attended Huncote Primary School in Huncote Leicester. Later he attended at Brockintron Collage in Enderby where he studied music, playing the cello in school and in local orchestras as well as learning to play the flute. Then he went to Pattison College in Coventry where he learned to dance and act.
The Hobbit has been in my life since I was about 7 years old. It was one of the first books I managed to read from cover to cover, on my own. [...] When I was preparing for the role of Thorin, I spent time reading many of Tolkien's other works, hunting down anything which would help me to imagine what it might be like to live as this 'very important Dwarf' (Tolkien's words, not mine), and I listened to an old BBC radio recording of Tolkien reading his works.
—Introduction, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Visual Companion, p. 5
- 2012: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Thorin
- 2013: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Thorin
- 2014: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Thorin
- 2013: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Visual Companion
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Deadline, "Peter Jackson Sets First Names For 'The Hobbit'", 21 October 2010 (accessed 23 October 2010)
- ↑ Collins, Gemma. "Our Very Own All-Action Hero", Leicestershire and Rutland Life, November 2009, p. 54