User talk:Hyarion/Archive 1
|This is an archive of inactive discussion. Please do not edit it. If you wish to revitalize an old topic, bring it up on the active talk page.|
I hope this is the right place to send messages - if not, please erase this.
Well, I was suprised to see that I was the second person to register in here, but that's even better: there's plenty of room to fill in.
I found these pages - as you might guess - via the Finnish Kontu forum, where the administrator Merri had posted a message informing about possibilities for co-operation. So I hope there will be more Finns to register in. I'll send my contributions when I have time to do that - quite irregularly, I'm afraid, but let's hope the best.
By the way, how does one start writing a new article to which there exists no previous link? I couldn't figure that out, being quite unaccustomed to Wiki. The only way I could start writing a new article was to edit a previous one and add there a new internal link and continue editing that one.
- I have a feeling that will be a common one (because I had to figure that one out myself) so I'll post that on the help page. All you have to do is type in your address bar, something like http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Title of Page (it will even insert the underscores for you) and you will be directed to a page that does not exist and you can edit it that way.
- Also, something I broke my own rule on, its a good idea to type a 'signature' when adding a comment to a discussion, otherwise no one knows who wrote it. I wish mediawiki would do it automatically, but until I fix that, a good standard to use is like mine below, just type "&mdash ;" but take the space out between the h and the semicolon...I can't figure out how to show those literally. You can also use -- it's just a matter of preference. And then type 4 ~ in a row. The first one prints out your name, second the time, 3rd the date, and 4th the timezone I believe.
- EDIT: Hm...looks like your one step ahead of me, on your pages, you have exactly that.
- EDIT: On second thought I'm going to move this to User:Hyarion because I'll probably keep this page to say what the English translation of Hyarion is. -- Hyarion 11:41, 12 Jun 2005 (EDT)
 Answer To Your Question
A lot of my stuff is at my LJ, ~~Black Sun~~, and some is at Parma, OF and Elfsheen, but a lot is just on my hard disk. :)
— Brighty 6:22, 25 Aug 2005 (EDT)
 Bokkie Moans
Can you try and make a Special:Sandbox for us users to try stuff out in? makes editing family lines and such easier...
I've spotted a difference of opinion... 8-) I've been trying to remove all the Hobbits Category entries from the different hobbits, but I see you add them still... It did make it easier for me to check who had been edited... I guess we want them back?
- Ah, hehe. That is something I was debating. I wonder if it is possible to have a 'Hobbits' cateogry and in it, list the hobbit family names, but have it also contain a list of all the hobbits since those are sub-categories. I guess when it comes down to it I just want a page that lists all the Hobbits, whatever way works I'm fine with. Sorry I totally forgot you were removing those, heh, I'll look into it to see what way will work. --Hyarion 16:44, 9 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- I'll leave the Hobbit category be then. I guess it would be just as useful to have all the hobbits in one big list, as it was. Just add a category for the specific family too, like you did 8-)
I've got my doubts about double pages like Samwise Gamgee and Samwise Gamgee. It basically is one and the same person, only a nickname or shortform. I would rather see 1 article with a list of "aliases"... --Bokkie 17:42, 14 Sep 2005 (EDT)
- I understand where you're coming from and I'll keep thinking about it, but for the time being I still say that it would be more beneficial to have the names on seperate pages, because each name has a specific meaning. For example Aragorn Elessar and Strider and such, you can go into great detail about the different names and people who called him that, places he used it, and the Elvish translations along with the old english meanings, etc. This would tend to drag down the Aragorn Elessar page to list all the names/information on it. For things like Samwise Gamgee there is not going to be as much information to talk about it, but just to keep the same system I think it's best to keep it. In the future we can list when he is referred to as 'Sam' and by whom. Just my opinion though. --Hyarion 00:15, 15 Sep 2005 (EDT)
Good idea, I'll add that to the to-do list while I upgrade the new wiki software, which should greatly improve the left menu, I'm going to be able to add things like links to the letters A-Z or links to races or to whatever we want and in different tables, if you have any suggestions let me know. --Hyarion 16:39, 9 Sep 2005 (EDT)
 What Happened to Me?
This is Brighty - what happened to me? I tried to log in and it said I don't exist. Weird.
- Were you using "BrightSideoftheDark"? Your still on the userlist, odd. --Hyarion 21:51, 3 November 2005 (EST)
Like Blind Guardian not all songs relate to Tolkien, but the ones that do stick to theme. Do you want bands to stick with just a band page?
- Honestly it's up to you, that's the best part, no one person has full control and we as a community can make decisions, but with the Blind Guardian page I just copied that from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Guardian for now and have yet to remove the unnecessary links, which was my fault because you were basing your articles off that. With Blind Guardian, as with Cirith Gorgor it is tricky because the Tolkien theme is greater in some albums and songs than others so there is no easy fine line. In the end more information is always better than less and if in the future we deem the articles as unnecessary it won't take any effort to remove them. --Hyarion 18:05, 28 November 2005 (EST)
- Ah ok. I was gonna just throw up a band page but saw all the information on Blind Guardian I figure I better not slack and add some more :P I'll clean it up and keep it that way in the future.