Tolkien Studies: Volume 2
|Tolkien Studies: Volume 2|
|Editor||Douglas A. Anderson, Michael D.C. Drout, Verlyn Flieger|
|Publisher||West Virginia University|
|Released||Printed: April, 2005|
Digital: May, 2005
Tolkien Studies: Volume 2 is the second volume of the annual review Tolkien Studies.
Douglas A. Anderson's essay "J.R.R. Tolkien and W. Rhys Roberts's Gerald of Wales on the Survival of Welsh" reprints J.R.R. Tolkien's contribution to Roberts's essay in The Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion together with commentary by Anderson (pp. 230-34).
- Richard C. West: "'And She Named Her Own Name': Being True To One's Word in Tolkien's Middle-earth"
- Douglas A. Anderson: "Richard C. West: A Checklist"
- Miryam Librán-Moreno: "Parallel Lives: The Sons of Denethor and the Sons of Telamon"
- Judy Ann Ford: "The White City: The Lord of the Rings as an Early Medieval Myth of the Restoration of the Roman Empire"
- Elizabeth Massa Hoiem: "World Creation as Colonization, British Imperialism in 'Aldarion and Erendis'"
- Margaret Sinex: "'Tricksy Lights': Literary and Folkloric Elements in Tolkien's Passage of the Dead Marshes"
- Patchen Mortimer: "Tolkien and Modernism"
- John Houghton, Neal K. Keesee: "Tolkien, King Alfred, and Boethius, Platonist Views of Evil in The Lord Of The Rings"
- Kristine Larsen: "A Definitive Identification of Tolkien's "Borgil", An Astronomical and Literary Approach"
- Linda Greenwood: "Love: 'The Gift of Death'"
- Michael J. Brisbois: "Tolkien's Imaginary Nature: An Analysis of the Structure of Middle-earth"
- Douglas A. Anderson: "Obituary, Humphrey Carpenter (1946-2005)"
- Beth Russell: "The Birthplace of J. R. R. Tolkien"
- Douglas A. Anderson: "J.R.R. Tolkien and W. Rhys Roberts's 'Gerald of Wales on the Survival of Welsh'"
- Sandra Ballif Straubhaar: "Gilraen's Linnod: Function, Genre, Prototypes"
- Dale Nelson: "Little Nell and Frodo the Halfling"
- Book Reviews
- John Garth: "The Alphabet of Rumil & Early Noldorin Fragments, and: Early Qenya & Valmaric" (review)
- Joe R. Christopher: "Following Gandalf: Epic Battles and Moral Victory in 'The Lord of the Rings'" (review)
- Bradford Lee Eden: "The Real Middle-earth: Exploring the Magic and Mystery of the Middle Ages, J.R.R. Tolkien, and 'The Lord of the Rings'" (review)
- Gergely Nagy: "The Road to Middle-earth, Revised and Expanded Edition" (review)
- Charles E. Noad: "Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy" (review)
- Jane Chance: "Tolkien: A Cultural Phenomenon" (review)
- Mike Foster: "Tolkien and C. S. Lewis: The Gift of Friendship" (review)
- Brian Rosebury: "Tolkien and the Great War: the Threshold of Middle-earth" (review)
- Jane Chance: "The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader" (review)
- Alexandra Bolintineanu: "Tolkien in the Land of Heroes: Discovering the Human Spirit" (review)
- Shaun F. D. Hughes: "Tolkien the Medievalist" (review)
- Timothy P. Wickham-Crowley: "Tolkien through Russian Eyes" (review)
- "The Years' Work in Tolkien Studies 2001-2002", by David Bratman
- "Bibliography (in English) for 2003", by Michael D. C. Drout, Melissa Smith-MacDonald
- Tolkien Studies: Volume 2 at Project Muse
|Tolkien Studies volumes|
| Volume 1 · Volume 2 · Volume 3 · Volume 4 · Volume 5 · Volume 6 · Volume 7 · Volume 8 · Volume 9 · Volume 10 |
Volume 11 · Volume 12 · Volume 13 · Volume 14 · Volume 15 · Volume 16 · Volume 17 · Volume 18