Welcome to Mith's talk page archive.
|This is an archive of past discussions. Do not edit the contents of this page. If you wish to start a new discussion or revive an old one, please do so on the current talk page.|
 Maps drawn by J.R.R. Tolkien
Since you prefer maps over a description of what is on those maps, why don't you act in a constructive manner by obtaining the permission of the Tolkien Estate and uploading the maps on the Tolkien Estate Website behind the door to Moria and the First Map of The Lord of the Rings on the thetolkienist website and obtaining the permission of the copyright holder of the redrawn maps of the Second Map of The Lord of the Rings before acting in a destructive manner and deleting a description of what is on The First Map of The Lord of the Rings, which is not available as a file on the Tolkien Gateway? --Akhorahil 11:34, 2 January 2021 (UTC)
- The issue is less that you've described the map, but more that it wasn't really providing a lot of useful information for the reader. This is an encyclopaedia, not a repository of trivia. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 11:39, 2 January 2021 (UTC)
- That "it is not providing a lot of useful information for the reader" and that it is "trivia" is merely your subjective opinion as one individual reader. Your personal opinion is not representative for the opinion of all the readers of this wiki and frankly I do not write content to please you, but content that could be interesting and not considered to be "trivia" for a lot of other readers. Christopher Tolkien wrote extensively in the History of The Lord of the Rings series books about how the geography of Middle-earth changed when one compares the various maps, so he certainly did not consider changes in geography to be "trivia". There are Tolkien fans that are enthusiastic about Tolkien's maps and map making as can be seen in the Other Minds Magazine or in the posts on the Other Minds facebook group Facebook page. --Akhorahil 19:28, 2 January 2021 (UTC)
- Do you have access to a copy of The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part 2, The Treason of Isengard? Have you ever looked at the First Map of the Lord of the Rings? If you look at page 299 to page 301, page 302, page 303, page 305 page 309 and compare it with the map that you asked me about, you can see that the map you asked my about is a combination of the maps on page 302, page 303, page 305 and page 309 and that those are merely redrawn maps that Christopher Tolkien redrew from The First Map of the Lord of the Rings and if you have looked on the First Map of the Lord of the Rings includes lots of details, which are not included on the redrawn maps. And no, the First Map of the Lord of the Rings has not been uploaded to the Tolkien Gateway wiki. The First Map of the Lord of the Rings can be found with the following URL https://thetolkienist.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/first-map-of-Lord-of-the-Rings_web.jpg The maps on the Tolkien Estate website can be found with the following URL https://www.tolkienestate.com/en/painting/maps/maps.html --Akhorahil 19:28, 2 January 2021 (UTC)
- Yes. What is wrong with the redrawn map by Christopher Tolkien? It has the same detail, does it not? What about that image lacks the detail you need for the Umbar article? I am enthusiastic about maps, too, and I can assure you I am extremely knowledgeable about Tolkien fandom, but what is the actual analysis or information you are providing here? You are describing the changes referred to by Christopher above, you are literally just describing a static object. Talking about the changes and what they mean would be genuinely useful information.
- Also, can you please include more punctuation in your sentences. I think it is contributing to your messages sounding rude, which I hope isn't your intention. Thanks. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 19:37, 2 January 2021 (UTC)
 Artwork which I uploaded
I was wondering, is there any specific reason why you deleted all artwork by A-denn, and others which I clearly provided evidence of consent on the part of the authors?
- It was three months ago so I honestly cannot recall. Undoubtedly there was a reason for removing those ones. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 13:27, 23 January 2021 (UTC)
- About A-denn's artwork (for example, 'Makar and Measse') specifically, perhaps it was the fact that I uploaded it under 'A-Denn' instead of 'A-denn'. Can you check it out, if you find time? -- IvarTheBoneless 18:09, 23 January 2021 (UTC)
- P.S. What's up with the font? Is it just me, or has there been a change? -- IvarTheBoneless 12:42, 23 January 2021 (UTC)
- Unfortunately not. In our version of the software it is not possible to move a category. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 19:37, 2 February 2021 (UTC)
- Oh, I thought categories could be edited with the bot. I'll see if I do it manually then and revise things by the way. --LorenzoCB 09:43, 3 February 2021 (UTC)
- That's what I meant with moving them. Just change the categories in the articles with the correct one and delete the former ones. Sorry, I assumed this was the usual. No hurry at all, but if I don't point this now I would forget it. --LorenzoCB 19:12, 3 February 2021 (UTC)
- Nice work! Holly molly, I had never spotted those categories. In a first sight I'd suggest to remove "Rulers", as it is redundant and "Titles" is more properly applied; and to change "Positions and occupations" to simply "Occupations". And we also have Category:Epithets, which I wished to revise at some point. --LorenzoCB 10:10, 21 February 2021 (UTC)
 Info boxes
I have a simple, stupid question. How do you create an info box for a personal user page? Many thanks! --Erónèhire 16:58, 23 February 2021 (UTC)
 TolkienGateway Chat
I was curious about this application, but I am having difficulty accessing it. Could you help direct me?--Erónèhire 17:42, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- Seems it is fallen since long ago. Mith, it would be nice to delete that page, it also confused me when I first saw it. --LorenzoCB 08:21, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- Why don't we reboot it? give it a kick and get it running? We could have meetings where even those too inexperienced to format new pages could give suggestions. I have a few, and I might as well suggest them now; 1. Get rid of the J.R.R. Tolkien IQ when replying to a message. 2. Add more questions to the Tolkien IQ for editors (Preferably ones that only people who have read his works could answer). 3. And, this is kind of frivolous, but we could design a 'Tolkien's Works' quiz page and a leader-board.--Erónèhire 15:57, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
I've noticed that many articles have the word 'Melko' in them. I am assuming that it means Melkor, but nowhere that I have read in Tolkien's books does he name him as 'Melko.' What's up with this? Is it a spelling error?--Erónèhire 03:59, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- Melko is the early Qenya name used by Tolkien in earlier versions of the legendarium. You may notice that this and other spellings (like Earendel instead of Earendil) are used in articles or sections dealing with The Book of Lost Tales or other earlier texts. --LorenzoCB 08:21, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- Ah, thank you! I had forgotten about the Quenyan roots.--Erónèhire 15:34, 10 March 2021 (UTC)
- Sorry, that was kinda rude; but I felt the need of answering because there were some other users "correcting" Melko during those days. I'm also sorry for tagging you as inactive, I didn't remember your recent edit from some weeks ago. Nice to see you around! --LorenzoCB 11:14, 30 December 2021 (UTC)
 Proof of artists' consent
A-denn (https://imgur.com/a/xcGqYWY) and
Olga Kalinichenko (https://imgur.com/a/nWdTtci).
Marina Muscan (https://imgur.com/a/S2vyiNM).
Janet Georgiou (https://imgur.com/a/HV3BgmW).
- IvarTheBoneless 16:26, 4 April 2022 (UTC)
 Isildus's Bane & the One ring
I looked in "To Do" page and I found that Isildur's Bane needed to be merged with the One ring article. The problem is that I am new in Tolkien Gateway and I don't know how to merge articles. How can I do it? Otciberta 19:10, 17 October 2021 (UTC)
- You need to ensure that all the content is copied across to the article you wish to merge into - ensure there is no duplication - and then create a redirect from the article you are merging from. --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 13:01, 29 December 2021 (UTC)
 Welcome Again
Welcome again laddy. Welcome. Where have you been all this time? Why didn't you edited anything on Tolkien Gateway all this time? I am just asking you.Γιάννης Ευαγγελίου 14:07, 30 December 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks. I've been busy. What would you like to explain? --Mith (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 14:53, 30 December 2021 (UTC)
- That I am trying to expand Tolkien Gateway, not to ruin it.Γιάννης Ευαγγελίου 20:29, 30 December 2021 (UTC)