|"Ecthelion, Thorongil and Boromir study" by Catherine Karina Chmiel|
|Birth||T.A. 2886 |
|Rule||T.A. 2953 - T.A. 2984 (31 years)|
|Death||T.A. 2984 (aged 98)|
|House||House of Húrin|
|Children||Denethor II; 2 unnamed daughters|
|Gallery||Images of Ecthelion II|
Ecthelion was known as a man of wisdom, and used all his power to strengthen Gondor against the new threat. He encouraged worthy men from Gondor or outside to enter into his service, giving ranks and rewarding the best of them. One was the stranger Thorongil who came from King Thengel of Rohan. Ecthelion loved him above all, and appreciated him more than his own son, Denethor; the Gondorians even believed that there was rivalry between the two. The stranger also advised him not to trust Saruman in Isengard, but to welcome Gandalf (whom Denethor didn't trust).
Thorongil warned Ecthelion that if Sauron started open war, the Corsairs of Umbar would be a great threat for the Southern Fiefs. Ecthelion gave his leave to Thorongil to go to Umbar and in T.A. 2980 he severely damaged the Corsairs' fleet in a surprise attack. Great honor awaited Thorongil in Minas Tirith but he never returned; he sent a farewell message to Ecthelion saying that other tasks call him and didn't know if fate would bring him again to Gondor. It later transpired that Thorongil was Aragorn Elessar.
2815 - 2914
2855 - 2953
2917 - 3010
2886 - 2984
2950 - 2988
2930 - 3019†
2978 - 3019†
2983 - Fo.A. 82
 Portrayal in adaptations
- In the Extended Edition, Thranduil mentions "Ecthelion of Gondor" to Bard as someone who he could sell the Arkenstone to. At the time of the book, Turgon was still Steward of Gondor.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil", p. 206
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Southern Line: Heirs of Anarion"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion", "The Stewards"
House of Húrin
|25th Ruling Steward of Gondor|
T.A. 2953 - 2984