|"Ecthelion, Thorongil and Boromir study" by Catherine Karina Chmiel|
|Birth||T.A. 2886 |
|Rule||T.A. 2953 - T.A. 2984 (31 years)|
|Death||T.A. 2984 (aged 98)|
|House||House of Húrin|
|Children||Denethor II; 2 unnamed daughters|
|Gallery||Images of Ecthelion II|
Ecthelion was known as a man of wisdom, who encouraged worthy men to enter into his service. One who did so was the stranger Thorongil, who fought for Gondor and severely damaged the Corsairs' fleet at Umbar in a surprise attack. It later transpired that Thorongil was Aragorn Elessar. Gandalf was also a welcome guest in Minas Tirith at the time. Ecthelion also strengthened Pelargir and refortified Cair Andros.
2815 - 2914
2855 - 2953
2917 - 3010
2886 - 2984
2950 - 2988
2930 - 3019†
2978 - 3019†
2983 - Fo.A. 82
 Portrayal in adaptations
- Thranduil mentions "Ecthelion of Gondor" to Bard as someone who he could sell the Arkenstone to. At the time in the books, Turgon was steward of Gondor, but Ecthelion was already an adult.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "The Heirs of Elendil", p. 206
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Southern Line: Heirs of Anarion"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion", "The Stewards"
House of Húrin
|25th Ruling Steward of Gondor|
T.A. 2953 - 2984