Talk:The One Ring
I'm having some trouble with the current, one-sided view of Kjaerulff in the Symbolism part. Can't we put the view of Tolkien first, and only then other people's views? -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 21:45, 2 December 2008 (UTC)
 The Inscription- the films DIDN'T change this!
I'm sitting here with the recent edition of The Fellowship of the Ring sitting in front of me- the one that was released in conjunction with the film triloy- and contrary to the article as it stands, the Ring's inscription DOES appear both on the interior and exterior curves.
Here's the passage verbatim, emphasis mine: "As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen-strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script." -"The Shadow of the Past", page 49 (at least in the copy I have before me).
So... in the interest of accuracy, could I change this? The films aren't running contrary to the books, at least according to THIS edition... so having that in the Portrayal in Adaptations section sort of irks me. Dinosaur bob 19:01, 7 July 2010 (UTC)
- Hello Bob. Nice quote! I quickly read the article, but I couldn't find anywhere it explicitly says that the inscription would only be inside the ring (though I might have missed the passage). On the other hand, the article only says that the inscription turn up "on the ring", so using the info from your quote would improve the article, IMHO. My suggestion would be to cite the passage from The Shadow of the Past just below the heading of the section "Appearance" (starting "[Frodo] now saw fine lines, ...").
- As this is a core article, we should perhaps await some opinions from others. --Morgan 19:20, 7 July 2010 (UTC)
- Ederchil fast as usual! ;-) What do you think about using the quote, Ederchil? --Morgan 19:23, 7 July 2010 (UTC)
- See the part where it says "requires some clean up"? Like you say, it's a high profile page, but the quality is below standards. So, anything with a source is better than what we have now. Maybe we can make this our next collaboration, because Tuor is a bit down on love lately. -- Ederchil (Talk/Contribs/Edits) 19:32, 7 July 2010 (UTC)
- Hmmm, Without reading all this discussion I came in and rewrote a sentence which had ended "inside the rim." I did this (as someone else said more than 6 years ago) in the interests of accuracy. All my other small changes were to help with the flow of the text and make it easier to read. I made this account immediately afterwards as I thought editing anonymously might be frowned upon. Mvoorhis 02:47, 29 October 2016 (UTC)